Email Marketing Insights
Are you eager to gain insight into the most recent email marketing trends?
Email marketing has emerged as one of the leading marketing avenues, surpassing traditional postal mail marketing by a significant margin.
In this comprehensive guide, we have gathered some of the most compelling email marketing facts from the most recent studies available online.
These insights into email marketing not only demonstrate the efficacy of various strategies but also highlight the elements that marketers consider pivotal in their email marketing campaigns.
Key Highlights – Email Marketing Data
For a quick summary, here are some of the standout statistics related to email marketing:
- The global count of email accounts has reached 4 billion. (Source: Statista1)
- Every day, over 300 billion emails are dispatched globally. (Source: Statista2)
- The typical email open rate stands at 21.3%. (Source: Mailchimp1)
- The average email click-through rate is 2.6%. (Source: Mailchimp1)
- In 2022, 78.3% of marketers identified email marketing as their primary marketing medium. (Source: Mailmodo)
- The main challenge for 37.3% of email marketers is making their emails stand out in recipients’ inboxes. (Source: Mailjet)
- In 2020, the email marketing sector generated a revenue of $7.5 billion. (Source: Statista4)
- Newsletters were the preferred campaign type for 83.3% of marketers in 2022. (Source: Mailmodo)
- 63% of email marketers utilize automation in their campaigns. (Source: Statista5)
- The bulk of marketers, 39.4% to be exact, dispatch 1 to 4 email campaigns monthly. (Source: Mailmodo)
- According to 35.3% of marketers, Tuesday is the optimal day for sending emails. (Source: Mailmodo)
- 49.5% of marketers believe that email marketing primarily aids in content dissemination. (Source: Mailjet)
- Segmented campaigns witness a 101% increase in clicks compared to their non-segmented counterparts. (Source: Mailchimp2)
- Each month, 29% of email senders engage in list maintenance activities, like eliminating inactive subscribers. (Source: Mailjet)
General Email Marketing Statistics
1. Over 4 billion individuals use email worldwide
In 2020, Statista highlighted that the number of email users globally was 4.04 billion.
They project this figure to increase to 4.6 billion by 2025.
2. Daily global email traffic exceeds 300 billion
Every day in 2020, approximately 306.4 billion emails were sent globally.
According to forecasts by Statista, by 2025, this number will rise to 376.4 billion.
3. Email marketing is vital to 76.8% of marketers
A survey conducted by Mailjet, comprising 3,200 email senders, revealed that 51.6% somewhat agreed and 25.2% strongly agreed that email marketing is pivotal to their organization’s success.
However, 18.9% somewhat disagreed, and 4.3% strongly disagreed with this notion.
4. The universal email open rate is 21.3%
Upon examining billions of emails, Mailchimp found that the average open rate across various sectors was 21.33%.
Government-related emails had the highest open rate of 28.77%, whereas daily deal/coupon sites and vitamin supplement companies had the lowest open rates at 15.06% and 15.03% respectively.
5. The average industry click-through rate is 2.6%
Mailchimp’s findings also showed an average click-through rate of 2.62% across all industries.
Hobby-related niches achieved the highest rate of 5.01%, while the restaurant sector recorded the lowest at 1.34%.
6. Email marketing was the leading marketing channel for 78.3% of marketers in 2022
A comprehensive survey by Mailmodo revealed that 78.29% of marketers identified email marketing as their most effective marketing channel in 2022.
Additionally, 53.49% favored organic search, and 30.23% preferred paid search. Of the participants, 65.5% worked for B2B companies, and 40% were employed by SaaS firms.
7. Email is a primary communication tool for 68% of enterprises in specific regions
Statista’s data shows that 68% of enterprises in selected global regions communicate with their clientele via email.
Interestingly, 84% of enterprises in Latin America and the Caribbean, and 82% in Europe and Central Asia, rely on email for communication. However, only 54% of enterprises in the South Asian region use email as a communication tool.
8. For 37.3% of email marketers, inbox visibility is the main challenge
From a survey of 3,200 email senders by Mailjet, 37.3% pinpointed their major hurdle as standing out in the inbox.
In addition, 32.7% cited inbox placement as a concern, and another 32.7% felt they lacked adequate time to concentrate on email marketing. A mere 11.7% thought that the issue lay with their email marketing software.
Revenue-Related Email Marketing Statistics
9. Global email marketing revenue reached $7.5 billion in 2020
According to Statista, the email marketing domain was valued at $7.5 billion in 2020.
This figure is expected to escalate to $17.9 billion by 2027, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 13.3%.
10. A 50.8% increase in email marketing ROI was observed by marketers in 2022
Mailmodo’s survey showed that 50.8% of marketers experienced a twofold increase in their email marketing return on investment in 2022.
On the flip side, 16.9% did not observe any enhancement in their ROI.
Strategy-Based Email Marketing Statistics
11. Newsletters were the preferred email campaign for 83.3% of marketers in 2022
Mailmodo’s survey indicated that 83.33% of marketers predominantly sent out newsletters in 2022.
Other popular campaign types included promotional emails (72.73%) and welcome emails (71.21%). The least favored campaigns were milestone emails (19.7%), cart abandonment emails (37.88%), and cold emails (37.88%).
12. 63% of firms employ automation in email marketing
A poll involving 391 marketing decision-makers revealed that 63% utilize marketing automation for their email campaigns.
Additionally, 50% apply automation to social media management, and 43% use it for advertising.
13. 39.4% of marketers dispatch 1 to 4 emails monthly to subscribers
Mailmodo’s findings indicate that 39.4% of marketers send between one and four emails every month to their subscribers.
Conversely, 36.4% send between four and eight emails, 12.1% send eight to twelve emails, and another 12.1% dispatch over twelve emails monthly.
14. Tuesday is the optimal day for sending marketing emails for 35.3% of marketers
In a poll by Mailmodo involving over 150 marketers, 35.3% concurred that Tuesday was the most favorable day for email dispatch.
Furthermore, over 25% preferred Wednesday, while Monday, Saturday, and Sunday were favored by less than 10% each, with Saturday being the least popular.
15. Single-column emails are favored by over 40% of marketers
Mailmodo’s survey of over 150 marketers showed that over 40% found single-column layouts most effective.
Moreover, over 25% endorsed hybrid layouts, approximately 20% favored the inverted pyramid layout, and another 20% opted for multi-column layouts.
16. Over 60% of firms use email marketing for promotions and branding
Mailmodo’s survey revealed that over 60% of marketers utilized email marketing primarily for promotions and raising brand awareness in 2022.
However, the upcoming focus for over 70% of marketers will shift towards customer retention.
17. For 49.5% of email senders, content marketing is the primary benefit of email
A survey by Mailjet involving 3,200 email senders found that 49.5% believe emails are crucial for content distribution.
Additionally, 35.3% use emails for transactional communication, 30.5% for promotions and selling, 26.8% for product updates, and 25.7% for lead nurturing. The least significant purpose was re-engagement, chosen by 7% of respondents.
18. Open rate is the vital email marketing metric for 42.7% of email marketers
Mailjet’s survey established that 42.7% of email marketers deem the open rate as the most crucial metric in email marketing.
Close contenders were the click-through rate (42.1%) and conversion rate (26%).
19. Design and deliverability are the top success factors for 34.4% of email marketers
Mailjet’s survey of 3,200 email senders showcased that 34.4% believe design, copy, and improved deliverability are the key elements for a successful email program.
However, only 5.3% felt that A/B testing was a significant contributor to success.
20. Over half of the companies personalize subject lines in 47.4% of their marketing emails
Mailmodo’s data highlights that over 50% of companies included personalized subject lines in 47.4% of their 2022 emails.
However, 36.8% of marketers did not personalize subject lines at all. A separate survey by Mailjet showed that 53.1% of respondents used the recipient’s name for personalization.
Source: Mailmodo, Mailjet
21. Actionable CTAs lead in performance for 57.9% of marketers
Mailmodo’s survey illustrated that 57.9% of marketers believe emails with actionable CTAs attain higher click-through rates.
Furthermore, 40% of companies reported that offers and discounts significantly boost click-through rates.
22. Segmented campaigns yield 101% more clicks than non-segmented ones
Mailchimp’s analysis derived from 2,000 users employing 11,000 segmented campaigns revealed that clicks in segmented campaigns were 100.95% higher than in non-segmented ones.
Additionally, open rates and unique opens were higher by 14.3% and 10.6%, respectively.
23. 29% of email marketers cleanse their email lists monthly
Mailjet’s survey indicated that 29% of email senders periodically clean their email lists every month.
Additionally, 50.4% of email senders remove inactive subscribers from their lists.
Misc. Statistics (+ Mobile Email Marketing Statistics)
24. 40% of marketers utilize email template creator tools
Mailmodo’s findings showed that 40% of marketers design emails using email template creator tools.
Additionally, 33.3% employ their email marketing service provider’s drag-and-drop editors, and 20% craft their templates through coding.
25. 66.7% of marketers manually assess email responsiveness
The majority of marketers (66.7%) evaluate email responsiveness by manually sending test emails to diverse mobile devices.
However, around 5% do not check mobile device responsiveness at all.
26. In 2022, 55.9% of marketers observed a surge in emails opened on mobile devices
Mailmodo’s survey of over 150 marketers revealed that 55.9% witnessed an uptick in the number of emails accessed on mobile devices in 2022.
Conversely, 1.5% observed a growth in the use of desktops for opening emails.
27. Almost all companies adopt the Sender Policy Framework (SPF) for email authentication
Mailmodo’s survey indicated that nearly all companies utilize SPF as their email authentication protocol.
Furthermore, approximately 90% employ both DMARC and DKIM, while less than 50% use BIMI.
Concluding Thoughts on Email Marketing Data
Examining these email marketing facts reveals several prevailing trends.
Primarily, email marketing continues to be a favored marketing technique, especially for content promotion.
Furthermore, segmentation emerges as one of the most potent email marketing tactics. However, a substantial number of email marketers either do not employ it or fail to leverage it effectively.
This inference is drawn from the challenges most email marketers face in making their emails stand out, coupled with the relatively low average open and click-through rates.
We strongly recommend familiarizing yourself with the capabilities of your email marketing service provider. If necessary, consider transitioning to a service that offers superior email design and segmentation functionalities.
With that, we conclude our comprehensive overview of the most recent email marketing facts.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means we may make a small commission if you make a purchase.